Monday, October 08, 2007

NYC Subway

Ridin' the subway! I hate the NY Subway...DC Metro is so much better!!! The subway smells awful, is filthy, is super confusing--there are tons of random hallways scattered all over the stations that it can be sometimes hard to tell where you need to be--, and there are homeless people begging for money on just about every car (I have NEVER seen that on the DC metro).
Traci and I got on the subway when we first arrived at Penn Station. We were alone and were taking the subway to Harlem where our friends lived. Well, after the first stop, this homeless woman gets on the car and addresses everyone telling her story and asking for help...so i just leaned over and gave her my water bottle. Not a big deal right? Well, this guy next to us percedes to lecture me and Traci for like 10 minutes about not giving the homeless people anything. He says: "baby, i know you got a good heart, and that the bible tells us to help the poor...but ain't no one going hungry in new york city! There's too many places for them to go and get help. I know...I was homeless. I was on crack. I was a drunk. But I bettered myself...I got help...and now I'm going to college trying make a better life for myself....etc." This continued for seriously 10 minutes during which 4 other homeless people got on our car at every stop it seemed and told us their "story" and asked for money. Finally, the guy sitting next to us had it with the last girl who was obviously messed up on drugs. They got into a huge verbal spat--shouting at each other. He was telling her to go get help, that all she wanted was money for drugs...and she was trying to defend herself....it was all a little scary!! Luckily our stop soon came and we got off the train and away from the crazy people!
So tired from walking the streets of NYC all day long!! I can't believe how many people are out and about in NYC at 12:30 am...crazy!! Crowds of people everywhere! Young women with toddlers out on the street in the middle of the night...we saw this girl in her early twenties with a 4 yr old girl on the street at midnight the little girl was dancing around and her mother was saying: "Go ashley...go ashley.."----Go get ashley to bed!! Is what I wanted to say...

0 comments: