This is the Mount Vernon trail that runs along the Potomac and is just a few blocks from our house. I'm not sure how far north it goes (at least to Georgetown) but it goes all the way down to Mount Vernon...everytime I drive along the GW Parkway (which parallels it) I wish I had my bike here!
The memorials are strangely romantic at night ;)
I love the capitol!! We went to a "movie on the mall" - they showed Casablanca on a huge screen and there were thousand of people sprawled out on blankets everywhere watching!
In my torts class the other day, our teacher made us stay after class and he played the entire "I have a dream" speech that Martin Luther King Jr. gave on the mall in the 60's....It was so inspiring!! Apparently Dr. King was deemed the greatest oral advocate of the century because of that speech - beating out Kennedy's "ask not what your country can do for you..." speech and roosevelt's "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"). It's so neat to think that that speech occured right where I am standing!
It's really fun to do the monuments one at a time. - makes it much more enjoyable! And if you go at night, when parking isn't a problem, then it's not such an ordeal and you can generally park right by the one you want to see.
I don't know if you guys have seen the George Mason memorial...its is sort of hidden just off the mall from the Jefferson.

0 comments:
Post a Comment